A GBL can be set up to carry out any global business activities or such other financial business activities as may be approved by the Financial Services Commission. GBL companies may undertake activities such as trading, investment management, investment advisory services, amongst others.
The Global Business License (GBL) offers the following benefits:
- Non-Double Taxation Treatment (DTAA) with currently 46 countries.
- May benefit from tax rate of 3% on Trading, Interest and Dividend income provided the company satisfies the substance requirements relating to its business activities.
- No exchange control and free repatriation of profits and capital. It is also possible to structure debt and financial instruments
- No withholding tax on interest, dividends and royalties
- No Capital Gains Tax
REQUIREMENTS FOR GBL
Currently, the FSC considers the following when determining whether the conduct of business is managed and controlled from Mauritius:
- The corporation shall have or has at least 2 directors, resident in Mauritius, who are appropriately qualified and are of sufficient calibre to exercise independence of mind and judgement
- The corporation shall maintain or is maintaining at all times its principal bank account in Mauritius
- The corporation shall keep and maintain or is keeping and maintaining, at all times, its accounting records at its registered office in Mauritius
- The corporation shall prepare, or proposes to prepare or prepares its statutory financial statements and causes or proposes to have such financial statements to be audited in Mauritius
- The corporation’s constitution contains a clause whereby all disputes arising out of the constitution shall be resolved by way of arbitration in Mauritius
- The FSC issued new substance guidelines for global business companies, effective as from 1 January 2019. In addition to the existing conditions, a GBL would be required to:
- Carry out its core income generating activities in, or from, Mauritius;
- Employ, either directly or indirectly, a reasonable number of suitably qualified persons to carry out the core activities;
- Have a minimum level of expenditure which is proportionate to its level of activities;
A Global Business Licence qualifies as tax resident in Mauritius and thus benefits from the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreements that Mauritius has established with 46 countries.
A GBL is taxed at 15% on its chargeable income and it may benefit from a Partial Tax Exemption of 80%, provided it meets the substance requirements relating to its business activities.
Partial Tax Exemption
Our Legacy Team is help you to establish your fiscal structures and to make full use of the DTAAs in place. You are invited to contact us for more information regarding structuring and fiscal optimization. However, if you would wish to go ahead and download the DTAAs, they are available below.
|Pakistan||People's Republic of Bangladesh||
People's Republic of China
|Singapore||Sri Lanka||South Africa (New)|
|State of Qatar||Swaziland||Sweden (New)|
Legacy Capital has a number of multinational clients and international groups, particularly focusing on Africa and reputed in their field of business, and which are seeking to expand their footprint in the Mauritius International Financial Centre through having their regional headquarters based here.
We will structure their holding entities in Mauritius, and define the parameters for the entities to provide headquarter services to their subsidiaries operating in other countries, such as administration and general management; business planning and economic or investment research, amongst others.
Within the same spirit, Legacy Capital will also provide solutions to establish treasury management activities of its multinational clients in Mauritius, and trigger the tax incentives provided to the Global Treasury Activities Licence.
The activities of the treasury management entity would consist of arrangement for credit facilities and derivatives, corporate finance advisory, credit administration and control and management of funds for designated investments, amongst others.
Our personnel boast sufficient proven expertise and track record in the above-mentioned activities. Legacy Capital will also leverage on its privileged relationship with local banks to provide activities like re-invoicing and letters of credits to its regional treasury management services entities.
Get in touch
Legacy Capital is helping its esteemed clients worldwide to do business. If you have any questions about our service offerings, please email us using our contact form and our dedicated team will reply to your queries